Stray Dog Arts

"A Man and His Best Friend" :: Recently Completed, work of the heart

"A Man and His Best Friend" :: 38" x 56" Oil on Canvas :: Commission

Ta-daaaaaa!!! :) The portrait of sweet Willie (a German Shorthair Pointer) and his human companion, Terry, is hereby complete! Wow, such a perfect painting to work on during this extended northerly retreat. To me, this image is iconic--capturing the essence of this time I've been spending up here in the far reaches of Minnesota--a place where there isn't much more than water and woods and companionships of the deepest kind.

In the words of Thoreau, “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Up here, I have found something of what I was looking for. Thank you Dr. Terry and Sue Johnson for inviting me into this project with you with such perfect timing. Thank you, Willie, for your gorgeousness, inside and out. The lakes, the sky, the expansiveness that exists in this part of the world--it causes me to breathe deep with immeasurable gratitude. This decision to come up here, it was a good one. ♥


Painting summer into being...(a late winter here in MN)


Putting some pants on...

The best part of the painting: The Delivery!!

with love,
Jessie Marianiello


 





© 2009 Stray Dog Arts, All Rights Reserved